Monday, February 18, 2013

I'm choosing a vegan lifestyle for health reasons

I don't really make new years resolutions because I always break them. However, I usually have one...lose the weight. I wasn't always overweight, as a young kid I was, as my mother says, "under weight and over tall". Things change when growing up in this fast food, over-processed junk food world. After I had my son nearly 12 years ago (wow, has it been that long?) I slowly began packing on the pounds. After having some shortness of breath and other issues it was either do this all the way or possibly not be here in a couple of years. Yeah, that's not an option.

It all started with documentaries like Vegucated, Forks over Knives and Fat, sick and nearly dead. Then a trip to the local library with a very select few copies of vegan books like, Living Vegan for Dummies, Veganist, and The Kind Diet. Then everything began to make sense. What had I been doing to myself all of the years. Then the guilt of knowing what I had been feeding my unsuspecting family was overwhelming. A person has to start somewhere and that is exactly what we have been doing.

We did eliminate meat, dairy, and (wheat (gluten) as a personal choice) immediately. It wasn't hard for my son and I, but it has been a little hard for my husband. He is trying so hard, one meal at a time!  I have been hitting the vegan recipes pretty hard this past week and making some real progress inventing some tasty dishes. I will post those recipes and pictures soon, until then you closet vegans in southeast missouri keep up the good fight. No a less violent approach would be.... keep up the good eats!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips