Saturday, March 2, 2013

Curried away with quinoa!

Sorry it's been awhile since my last post. I have been creating and taste testing recipes in the kitchen! I think I have a hit on my hands. I have made this several different times and my family loves it, even the picky eaters. So I thought I would post a pic and the recipe so you can share it with your family and friends.

Curried away with quinoa!
1-2 cups cooked quinoa ( I use red)
1 medium yellow or red onion
2 garlic cloves
2 cups of fresh spinach
1/4 cup of sliced almonds
1/4 cup of dried cranberries
1-2 TBS of olive oil
1 TBS of curry powder
1-2 tsp of garlic powder
1/2 tsp of pepper
1-2 TBS of Tamari or Braggs liquid aminos

I start off cooking the quinoa according to the box or bag instructions. It's usually 1 cup of quinoa to 2 cups of water. Put both items in a pot and bring to a boil. Then continue cooking on medium heat for 15 min. or until all liquid has evaporated and quinoa is soft and the "germ" ring is visible along the edge of the grains. While this is cooking I begin to dice the onion into small pieces and finely mince the garlic. Add the olive oil to a large skillet and turn on medium heat.  Add chopped onions and garlic when oil is hot, then add the almonds and cranberries. Cook everything until onions are translucent then  add the Tamari or Braggs liquid aminos and the fresh spinach. Your quinoa should be finished cooking by now. Add 1-2 cups of quinoa to the mixture in the skillet with the garlic powder, curry and pepper. Toss everything together until it is mixed well. Serve to your happy family.

***additions*** if you are on an oil restricted diet use vegetable stock in place of olive oil. Also, I have added fresh cubed mushrooms in place of spinach, very yummy. Another variation would be to use finely chopped walnuts or pecans in place of almonds and add a little orange juice to this. Whatever quinoa didn't go into this recipe could be used cold in a salad the next day.

Enjoy!... and remember to "play with your food".  Find out what different veggies and spices you like to cook with quinoa. Make this recipe fit your taste buds!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips